Common Causes of Sick Koi
- Poor Pond Water Quality: 70% of all koi sickness is caused from poor pond water quality
• Filter not large enough for the size of the pond
• Not enough aeration: falsely thinking if you have a waterfalls, it’s enough aeration.
• Not doing weekly partial pond water changes.
• Not doing weekly pond water testing for ammonia, nitrites and pH
• Over cleaning your filter and filter media killing all the “Good Bacteria”
• Cleaning your filter and filter media with “City Water” that contains chlorine which kills all the “Good Bacteria”.
- Not quarantining new fish: VERY IMPORTANT!!!
- Over Feeding
- Over Crowding
- “Chemical Soup”: having sick koi and adding every medication you read about to your pond
Just by correcting these common causes, you can keep your koi happy and healthy.